Online Business 101: A Guide to Building a Website with SEO in Mind
How is building a website with SEO in Mind benefits businesses? It has been said before that online businesses will thrive year after year, but 2020 proved that it will only get bigger and better from here on out. Due to the ongoing pandemic, going out of the house must be limited to minimize contact. Thus, shifting your life fully online. People slowly rely on shopping what they need online and have it delivered to their doorstep.
As the internet populates, it means that businesses are multiplying as well. And for business owners, it means that there’s competition. When there’s competition, it means that you have to be on top. One of the best ways to have an edge compared to the others is have your own website. Some might even say that it’s a must.
Benefits of Building a Website with SEO in Mind
Here are a few reasons why a business needs to have their own website:
- Makes your business accessible
- Shows professionalism and credibility
- Provides data that can help in decision making
- Can bring in global opportunities
- Provides social proof
- Shows up in Google results
- Can serve as a resource center for your staff
- Website architecture is well-planned and organized.
- Uses a responsive and mobile-friendly design.
- The website should have easy navigation.
- All tabs and page layouts are well-structured.
- Text and images are optimized.
- When there’s too much going on – Heavy text and multiple images can be very overwhelming. It also causes confusion which might drive away visitors and look for another website. Choose font styles that are easy on the eyes and choose the right size for your readers. Also, use white space wisely. This affects the visual aspect of your website and makes the text seem less intimidating.
- When there’s too little going on – the opposite of the previous item. This is when there’s little to no information on your website. It is important for people to know who you are so don’t forget to make your business known to anyone who visits your site.
- Using a poorly-composed CTA (call-to-action) – Make sure that your CTA is convincing and understandable. Customers should know what’s in store of them if they click your call-to-action.
- Hidden Navigation and Information – People want to see what they’re looking for in an instant. If they can’t find it in your website right away, they will leave. That’s why it’s important for your information (who you are, what you sell or what services you provide, rates, and contact details) and navigation to be seen, understood, and responsive. There’s no point in hiding it, just let it out in the open.
Steps to take to get a Good Business Website
How to build a website with SEO in mind? If you’re new to this, don’t worry. We got you. Here is all that you need to know about building your website. After reading this article, you will learn what makes a good business website and take home some tips to create one.
1. Select your domain and hosting appropriately.
The domain name and hosting plan is the first thing to think about, and it plays an important role in the ranking of your website. Domain names can be related to your business or services. Make sure it’s catchy, easy to remember, and sums up what your business is all about.
On the other hand, hosting helps you with server maintenance, keeping software and hardware updated, troubleshooting, etc. It’s what keeps your website up, resulting in having good credibility with search engines. As a business owner, you wouldn’t want your website to go down and have poor rankings. So, choose a good web domain and a good host provider as it is an SEO web design essential that will create a strong foundation for any business.
2. Create a good web design.
After settling down with your domain and host provider, web design is next on your checklist. It’s also an important factor that affects your business because your website serves as your salesperson who interacts with your customer. Check out this website redesign SEO checklist for your reference:
These five points are only scratching the surface, but there’s more to it than you think so find time to dive deep into it when you’re about to create a good website design. If you want to take it up a notch, you could then elevate your business through an engaging and interactive design that allows users to understand how to use your website as they access your products or services. To sum up this SEO redesign checklist, build the website with the end-user experience in mind.
3. Make sure website speed is not compromised.
The next thing you should check after web design, is your website speed. Website speed refers to the amount of time it responds to a user visiting your website. One way to make sure your site is responsive is to check in with your web developers. Coordinate with the developers by letting them know to use codes and plugins that are necessary to your website so as not to compromise your web speed. Do some test runs and let your friends try visiting your website so they can give you feedback.
4. Manage your website pages thoroughly inside and out.
When we do SEO on a website, it means we prioritize the optimization of the webpages to improve website presence and traffic. Search engines can help your website reach potential customers once they understand your site. Thus, the need to optimize your pages. You can do this by creating quality content that is informative and engaging. But the real magic happens behind the scenes.
a. Indexable and Optimize
This refers to measures than can be taken within the website such as implementing site meta tags, high quality content, use of keyword with search intent, proper content structure with heading tags, optimized images with alt text and more.
Creating good content is only the tip of the iceberg. Although it has to be interesting, your content won’t perform well if you just post it and hope it gets viral. Don’t waste time by being passive, act on it by practicing on-page SEO.
Good content + optimization = reach potential customers quickly.
b. Internal Links
To index your content beyond the home page, you need internal links. Internal links give you a way to show the search engines how your various pages are connected and drive traffic from one page on the website to another. Interlinking pages of your websites will result in a good link juice spread. Link juice refers to the SEO value passed from one page/site to another. This value is passed through hyperlinks and is one of the most important factors for gaining top rankings. The hyperlinks (or just “links”) can serve as votes that agree with the fact your page is worth promoting.
5. Ensure that your website is secure.
This is the last point but definitely NOT the least. Protect your website by securing it from hackers and viruses. One example is to make sure that to have that extra “s” in the “https”. This is called the SSL, or the Secure Sockets Layer. The SSL is an essential part of a business’ website as a consumer, marketer, and business owner.
Why? An SSL is security technology. It’s a must-have for servers and web browsers to ensure that data passed between the two parties is private by cryptographically establishing an encrypted link.
If there’s anything important to business owners and companies, it’s data. Surely, you do not want confidential information to be leaked, destroyed, or stolen. So, work with your developers to secure your website from any attacks and keep your data and personal information safe.
Mistakes to Avoid While Building a Website with SEO
Now that you have a bit of knowledge about building a website with SEO, it’s time to learn from the mistakes of other people while creating their own.
As a business owner, it’s important to know these things but it’s also important to have people you can trust to do this. Here at Still Up Marketing, we can make it happen. Our team will work with you in building a website with SEO in mind from start to finish. Stay ahead of the competition, create brand awareness, and increase website traffic – reach all these goals with us, Still Up Marketing.